Friday, September 23, 2016

Engine rebuild--Perkins 4-107


About two years ago our Diesel engine stopped working. I won't go through all the details but let's just say it seized, most likely from water back flowing from the exhaust. This has forced us to sail everywhere which has just made us better sailors. 
But it's time to have a diesel again because it opens up our travel options. The issue up till now is trying to afford rebuilding this one or replacing it. The only way to afford this would be for me to do the rebuild and removal and installation or find a really cheap rebuilt diesel.  Not being a mechanic and not having any place to work on a engine I didn't think this was going to be easy.
But we came into a marina to run away from a hurricane and met Rob and Kim Cross who own a diesel shop and Rob is a great mechanic. I can't afford him but he was nice enough to loan me his tools and give me a small space to work on the engine in his shed. Best of all he will give me advice along the way. This is the only reason we're staying in the marina. The free wifi, pool, showers, water, electricity have nothing to do with it, I swear. 
Here are a couple pictures and a video of Dominga and I removing the transmission and engine. At the last minute a dock mate came along to give a hand. 
We will update this as I work on the engine. Because we have so many other projects going, this may take awhile.
Qq


No comments:

Post a Comment